Troy Brown has been named principal of the new K-8 school at New Hampstead. A 23-year veteran of Savannah Chatham County Public Schools, Dr. Brown joined the district in 1998 at West Chatham Middle School as a teacher and was promoted to Assistant Principal at Port Wentworth Elementary in 2000. He served as an Assistant Principal at Butler Elementary, Bartlett Middle School, Heard Elementary, Mercer Middle School. He started as a Principal at WCMS, opened Rice Creek School, and most recently lead the Godley Station K8. Prior to working with SCCPSS, he taught for over 10 years in South Carolina.
A native of Beaufort, SC, Brown graduated from the University of South Carolina with a degree in Psychology and Mathematics. He also earned two Master of Education degrees from the College of Charleston, a doctorate from University of South Carolina, a doctorate from Georgia Southern University, and another Master of Education degree from Armstrong Atlantic State University. His first assignment was in Middle and High School Mathematics. “I started teaching because while participating in a study group in dental school, a peer said. 'You explain information really well—have you ever thought about being a teacher?' That conversation sparked much thought about my passion for teaching and at the end of that semester, I started my first teaching assignment," Brown said.
When he was principal at Rice Creek, the school was short bus drivers, so Dr. Brown took on a route himself. “It gave me more time with the kids!" he said. In addition, he thought that starting the day off with the students on the school bus he could ensure the rest of the day would go well for them academically.
Dr. Brown will lead a team of 70 and plans to visit every classroom to greet and speak to every student on the first day of school at the new K8 at New Hampstead.
A Dozen Questions with Dr. Brown
- What do you like to do for fun? Travel, water ski, snow ski, and participate in charity fundraisers
- What's your favorite book? The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein
- How many hot dogs can you eat in 5 minutes? 1
- Baseball or football? Baseball. I used to play baseball – shortstop!
- What's on your playlist right now? Like what do you listen to when you're in the car or on a walk? Soft Rap and Hip Hop, but I enjoy all music—even country (except blue grass and heavy metal)
- How many years have you been a principal? 21 years (12 AP and 9 Principal)
- Dogs or cats? Dogs – Chase Mathew and Camden Michael
- What's your favorite kind of food? Italian (and yes, I cook and would love my own cooking show)
- How many brothers or sisters do you have? 1 brother
- What's the farthest you've ever traveled from home? New Zealand
- What's the most exciting thing you've ever done? I have been able to visit all 50 states (when I graduated from undergraduate school—the only state I had not been to was Alaska—so as a graduation gift to myself I flew to Alaska for a long weekend—all just to be able to say I have been to all 50 states)….of course traveling to other countries has been fun as well…
- What's something you've done that no one would ever guess? League Bowling (yes, I have bowled a few 300 games in my career) and I love roller coasters. Oh and I ride a motorcycle on nice sunny days (but, not to work—helmet hair does not look great on me!)