The purpose of The Dawning of a Miracle Scholarship Fund (the “Fund”) is to provide a scholarship to:
1. a female graduating high school senior who is the survivor of or a patient currently suffering from a serious chronic illness; or
2. a female graduating high school senior who has achieved in spite of adversity.
Adversity may include: homelessness, death of a parent or guardian, house fire, eviction, suddenly faced with having to take care of siblings and/or parent(s), or abandonment.
The other eligibility criteria are as follows:
1. Applicants must be graduating Chatham County high school seniors.
2. Applicants must have a cumulative grade point average of at least 80 on a 100 point scale or 2.5 on a 4.0 scale.
3. Applicants must have demonstrated leadership abilities.
4. Applicants must have demonstrated financial need.
5. Applicants must be single with no dependent children.
6. Recipients may not be related to any Scholarship Committee member closer than second cousin by blood or marriage.
7. Scholarships must be awarded without regard to race, religion, age or national origin.
Scholarships will be awarded for tuition, room, board, books and other necessary educational expenses. Payment will be made to the college on behalf of the recipient in halves prior to the start of each semester. If the student withdraws and otherwise would be entitled to a tuition refund, the refund money must be returned to the Fund.
Selection of the recipient(s) shall be determined by The Dawning of a Miracle Scholarship Committee identified by reference to the Fund Agreement, applying the above criteria.